Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Soy de Barca

I have found myself in a very comfortable place lately.  I can no longer even fathom the idea of getting lost around Barca and I ALWAYS feel like I know where I need to go or where I am.  I have, on multiple occasions, given directions go Spanish tourists.   And finally, and maybe most importantly, I've finally figured out the business hours around town.  I am a Barcelonian! 

We (my self and my roommates) went out last night to watch the Spain v. Portugal world cup match.  We started out at a place called Ryan's Pub which is in the Gothic section of town.  I had heard they had great food, a rumor I most certainly confirmed.   The entrance was very different as we had to walk up an incredibly narrow alleyway to get in.  As one of our new roommates put it, "This is SO like Digon Alley!" The only downside was the fact that the AC was broken and there were hundreds of bodies crammed into every nook and cranny.  We made it to half time and left to find a more comfortable vantage point in a different location.  We decided to head towards home and catch the game's conclusion at a local bar with local fans.  As soon as we got off the metro we heard an eruption of excited yelling from the apartment windows all around us followed by triumphant car horn blasts and explosions of every type of firecracker imaginable.  Spain had scored.  We settled down again at a bar across the street from home and watched not only the game but the locals who would not be content with only one goal.  To their dismay an other goal was not delivered, but a win is a win.  As the seconds ticked away people got up, walked outside, and the chanting, flag waving, car horn honking, whistle blowing, firecracker fun started all over again.  And this was a game on a Tuesday night to get into the quarter finals.  The craziness might just be inexplicable for the next game. 

Spain will be playing for a finals bid on a Saturday night.  I will be doing my research between now and then.  This game will be watched somewhere that we will get strange confused looks for pronouncing half the words out of our mouth wrong.  Some place where a moment of concentration is needed to understand the curse words bombarding the TV. 

On a different note, a new set of classes have started.  Photography isn't as much fun as I had hoped but in fairness we haven't really taken pictures of anything yet.  Advanced Spanish is proving very helpful but is also proving to show me just how much I still don't know. 

One last thing... I've been forgetting to put this up but here is the link to my photobucket account.  Please keep in mind that I'm about as vigilant with updating that as I am with this blog.  Just click on the link below and enjoy!

Chris' Photobucket Albums

Until Next time!  Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment